A Bookmark A Day for 365 Days

Lauralyn Sciretta in Tucson, Arizona is making A Bookmark A Day for 365 Days...


Why did you decide to do this project? I broke my right shoulder in three places a few months ago falling backwards off of a step ladder.  It was the most pain I have suffered (even after childbirth).   I was in a sling and after a couple of weeks I was only allowed to move my wrist/hand.  My doctor suggested to practice writing.  I prefer to draw instead.  So, I picked up my Micron pens and started making cards and bookmarks.  It was the best therapy ever.  It has now been four months of daily physical therapy to attempt to get mobility back.   I was just allowed to add two-pound weights to my exercises.  I do physical therapy twice a day at home.  So, I could have had my project be physical therapy every day for 365 days, but that is painful and I wanted something to offset it.  I love reading, so bookmarks are a natural choice for me.  This project allows my to give myself permission every day for creative play time and I consider it as art therapy and as important to my healing and well-being as the physical therapy!



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I have just started the project but I have really been inspired and have had my creative juices flowing with ideas. I ended up combining my love of cards and bookmarks to some very cute bookmark cards that I am just now starting to sell locally.  I hope to start an online store too.  I immediately realized that I have to be more organized if I want to accomplish anything daily.  I have had a stash of goodies and art tools that have been sitting idle.  Now I get to play with everything and finally get to use some of this stuff.  I love creating with stuff I have on hand.



See all of Lauralyn's bookmarks HERE.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My kids love to read! This will be a perfect project for them to do for art class this month! Thanks for the idea!

Frances said...

Fabulous project, I hope your shoulder recovers fully Lauralyn

mim said...

Wow, what a terrible accident. And what a great way to recover. I like your project a lot, especially as a huge reader. Heal quickly and completely and keep making stuff.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much Lori, Frances and Mim for your kind words and your encouragement. My shoulder is coming along nicely. My next appointment with doctor is Valentine's!

Lauralyn
lazylizardstudio.blogspot.com